Sunday, August 11, 2019

The Gregory Legacy, Chapter 48

Ooooooookay! Let's get a move on before school starts and I have no time. When we left off, heiress Eleanor had rekindled her romance with her first boyfriend (Owen) after having two boys, each with a different deadbeat dad, and eschewing the married life to move in her best friend, Kenzie. She abandoned social media for the promise of archaeology. And when we finished, she had just gotten pregnant for the third and final time of this generation, the first pregnancy she's planned for. The boys are growing up and they're going to have another sibling join them soon, and the house is hopping with sims since we've got three elders, two young adults, one dog, two toddlers, and one pregnancy. If you notice the problem with that, congrats! You are better at counting than I was at the time I played this! Here's your prize: jump on in . . .

Ooh, so close. I had a CC mat and I thought maybe Nova wasn't sleeping on it because it was CC, but even with a cutie patootie Maxis-made mat, she just. won't. sleep. there. I've tried my best. Now if she wants to spite my beautiful rainbow kitty mat in favor of the scratchy-looking rug, that's up to her.

Speaking of cutie patooties, Simon and Rowan are in bed, peaceful for once. Everyone's asleep. Isn't that just the absolute best feeling when you have a full house?

The ghosts are up, though. Our two most terrifying ladies of the legacy, Marjorie and Faye, have a sports game tournament into the wee hours of the morning. Which is fine, because it's time when they're not breaking sinks and toilets.

Nova is adorable in her sweater (reason 1 I took this) but she is just terrible at self-care (reason 2). I frequently get messages that she's starving even though she has a full and clean bowl with extra food in the hopper. I did get this mod that helps pets find things that are on a different floor than they're on and that helped a bit, but I'm afraid Nova is better at being cute than she is at meeting her basic needs.

But it turns out we're also just terrible at taking care of pets apparently, because Cornflower passed away literally while Eleanor was feeding her. I really hope it was old age but I have a sinking feeling . . .  Good news (?) though: Raf has never noticed. He's moved on to other obsessions, all of which are boring.

I took this to be the cover pic but then I had a little compassion for Eleanor, but not so much that I kept it out of the chapter. She's having a really rough pregnancy. She's never been particularly good at being pregnant, but this one is hitting her a lot harder. This is about when I finally took out my trusty counting fingers and realized this baby will make 9 sims in the house. Here's how that happened: I'm doing dueling heirs in The Allen Invasion, my all-alien city-based legacy, so I raised the cap with MCCC. I then didn't play for a long time and later came back to the Gregorys, blissfully unaware that the cap was still raised when Eleanor got pregnant. Shouldn't be a problem though. I know how to handle CAS with greater than eight sims, and I can manage full houses, so one more should be alright. And unlike with the Allens, this lot does not have the Ley Line trait and we've only had twins twice so far, so although I knew this generation would be a little tough, I figured it would be fine. Am I foreshadowing heavily enough here?

After taming her nausea, Eleanor notices her archaeology bench has appeared in the focus room, and she dives into the inventory-full of artifacts and artifact-shaped clumps she has in her pocket.

The boys are so gosh darn cute, and although they are half-brothers, you couldn't really tell they're related at all. Except for the red hair, I'm not sure how much is from Eleanor so far, but unless they're really extreme, all the toddlers look a lot alike. They enjoy each other's company quite a bit and love babbling to each other while they work on their skills.

Ah, yes, that definitely looks like a holiday well spent. Alone except for the dog, in a wet bathroom, near a pile of trash, repairing a bathtub used exclusively by elders that aren't even related to you. This was New Year's Eve. Do you think her resolution had anything to do with examining her life choices? Actually, she's just working on Nerd Brain, but she is highly useful to have around the house, even as she fulfills her aspiration.

I don't remember why I took this picture, but let me use it to note that Eleanor has completed all of Archaeology Scholar except for giving a lecture.

Kenzie: "God, I'm so hungry. What should I do? Someone feed me!"
Rafael: "Aw, she's trying to take my place as the Dumb One."
Andres: "Fret not, my son-in-law, your name will be recorded in history forever for your feats of foolishness. Future generations shall know of your lack of usefulness and inanity."
Rafael: "Aw, thanks, Pops."
Andres: "You are welcome, but I require that you still call me by my name."

In less-useless-people news, Celeste provides some dearly-needed attention to the tots. This was still played a ways back, so I was relying on the tablets a lot still. Anyway, with the peanut gallery down in the kitchen and Celeste up here, where has Eleanor gotten off to?

Ah, looks like someone came to visit. He always greets her with a kiss and although I know it's just programmed that way for romantic relationships, it still is so darn cute.

Eleanor is able to give Owen a successful archaeology lecture, completing her aspiration. She now wants to be a Super Parent and since she is carrying his progeny, Owen is more than willing to toast to that.

Everyone (including random people off the street maybe? idk) is joining in on the festivities.

Eleanor: "Another round!"
Owen: "Ellie, should you really be drinking that?"
Eleanor: "Relax, it's just cranberry juice in mine."
Owen: "If you say so."

Owen gets Andres's seal of approval, which is more than I can say for Rafael. And random lady is still keeping an eye on Eleanor and her drink.

Okay. You jackasses finally did it. I saw one too many bowls of ice cream being made instead of eating the perfectly good, varied, excellent-quality, non-spoiling leftovers that our Master Chef, Andres, has stocked the fridge with. So now you get a cookie jar, a dessert that you can't even eat, instead. I hope you sims are happy with yourself.

Unsurprisingly, one of the main culprits was Rafael, and he's gained a lot of weight from his frequent consumption of frozen dairy goods (although it doesn't necessarily look like it on his small frame, he's nearly maxed out on fatness), so I gave him the resolution to lose weight. Just shed a couple pounds, right? In the sims you can practically do that by looking at a treadmill. But oh no, not Raf. He pulls the Elder Card the minute I try to get him to exercise. "I'll die," he whines. "We can only hope," I reply.

The evening of New Year's Eve is upon us, and Eleanor is throwing a party again, determined that this one will be much more in her control. The dress code is party clothes. Should be fun.

Sigh. Rafael. Not your Spooky Day costume.

Rafael: "What? Technically this is in the party category for me."
Owen: "Dude, all the other family members managed it okay. I'm still visiting and I just stayed in my everyday."
Rafael: "Oh, was that an option? Well, let me just - *clank* - Oh dear, could you get my oil can?"

Eileen snubbed our invitation (as did quite a few of the many people we invited) but Taylor came. Hey Tay, looking a little green with envy over your sister's life?

Taylor: "First of all, that will never not be eye-rollingly stupid, and second, I'm pretty happy not being on diaper squad. Not being heiress may have been the best thing that ever happened to me."

Andres is living on borrowed time as a bodybuilder with a sparkling bar, but I'm hoping he sticks around to get to know the last of his great-grandchildren.

Finally it's almost midnight and the countdown starts. Why they did this in the playroom instead of at the big TV downstairs is a mystery.

Rafael: "I'm still rusted to the spot."

Hurray! Happy New Year, my simmies!

And then, because Nova was stinky and dirty, Eleanor starts the year off by bathing her pup.

Who then keeps Rowan company on the couch, even if he doesn't quite seem sure of what's going on.

Natalie is the Best Ghost Ever! Instead of breaking stuff she just comes through and cleans our house. I love you, Natalie.

The brothers in their everyday, after baths. They spend so much time in their PJs I thought it might be nice to see the 'real' them. They both have the monster booties.

Did Eleanor wash Nova so well that she is now, literally, sparkling clean? No, she's just aging up. I wish I could at least see her age bar so I knew this was coming.

She's still a pretty girl with a sad face and I love her so much, even if she almost never sleeps in her bed. Who's a good girl, Nova? Is it you?

Ah, bonding time with Mom.

Kenzie's still around. She's making a big push on her aspiration and other assorted household-upkeep tasks.

And Raf? Well, I'm trying everything I can think of to get him to exercise enough to lose weight. It's too cold for him to swim, which is unfortunate, because that actually works pretty well usually. Getting him in a chill frame of mind did not help.

A little love from one elder to another. Awwwww.

We gave Owen a key and he makes great use of it, coming over pretty much everyday. He loves to find Eleanor and show his affection.

He also offered his friendship to Nova and she accepted! Aww, any friend of my dog is a friend of mine. (In real life that is not true because my dog will be friends with literally anybody. He has no sense of being a judge of character. He just loves everyone.)

Still dodging the gym, Raf shares a drink with his wife, who has resolved to write a book, which she can practically do in her sleep now. But what I really want to talk about is the way the llamacorn ice sculpture is rendering. It's bad. Really bad. Agreed? Okay.

The next day brings Celeste's birthday, so I guess those were celebratory drinks with our pixel-y ice sculpture. Every one of the adults except Kenzie gets in the spirit, but at least she's there.

And here's Celeste in Eleanor's cotton candy room after her makeover. Older, wiser, a little more affected by gravity, but still a lovely sim. I really like this grey color with the ombre for her hair.

Ugh. Glutton ghosts are almost as bad as the child-haters in terms of messing things up. Nathan (and Jaron, when he's out) go straight for any of the food I leave out for the toddlers. Because Andres was a Master Chef, his food doesn't spoil so ideally I could just leave a plate outside the nursery for whenever the boys are hungry, but they keep getting picked clean by my piggish ghosts.

So, of course, I only notice this when the toddlers are starving and I get a notification, but that's not even the point of this picture exactly. I had gotten a notification that Rowan was starving while he was upstairs on the tablet. No problem, right? Just get a plate upstairs to him, right? Oh, if only it were that easy.

I have constructed this beautiful and professional graphic to communicate my displeasure and disbelief with this scenario. Rowan, starving enough that he would soon be taken away if he didn't eat, grabbed his food from the table, circled on the far right, walked past the couches where the boys normally eat, crawled down the full staircase, toddled through the downstairs, down the outside staircase, around the pool, and to the farthest chair on the lot, a reward object from a weenie roast. And of course canceling the action didn't actually stop him until he got there, at which point I then had to direct him to just eat again out there, because he was already there and I didn't want to let him get taken away. There is not enough facepalm in the world for this. It also took for-frickin'-ever because his movement skill was really low.

Eleanor: "Hey, Dad. Are you finally taking your resolution seriously?"
Rafael: "Huh? Of course not. Just checking for ants. I think we're clear."
Eleanor: "Uh, okay. I'm bringing Simon down for his birthday. If you could, you know, not be on the floor for that, that would be just terrific."

Happy Birthday to the firstborn of generation eight!

Look at those big eyes! Blow out your candles, big boy!

And here's Simon as a kiddo. He lost a bit of his big-eyed charm, but he's still a very handsome boy. Like pretty much everyone else, I like him better when I installed my custom skins, which is coming up relatively soon. I love that he got those almost-glowing light green eyes from Kaiden, who, I will remind you, he has never met and has never so much as sent him a birthday gift or a text. Anyway, Simon is now Good and a Social Butterfly. What a proper little gentleman, and how unlike his father!

I dressed him pretty smooth, in lots of yellow and green with blue accents. He's a sharp dresser for a kid, but I think he's kind of refined, and as a formerly independent toddler, he may be a little mature for his age. Sorry for the terrible lighting in this picture!

Simon: "I'm going to make ALL the friends. Starting with you, red-haired lady who isn't my mom and who I'm not sure I've ever seen before."
Kenzie: "Yeah, I'll fix tubs all the live-long day, but I don't do childcare. Anyway, you seem low maintenance. We can be friends."
Simon: "Yay!"

Although she finished her aspiration, Eleanor still works at her table often when she has time. Soon, the museum started mailing her artifacts to authenticate and holy cow is that a great money-maker!

Simon: "Hi everybody! I'm Simon and I got the most annoying aspiration and also I'm a legacy sim and also I introduced myself to all of you so you have to talk to me until I release you. Isn't that neat?"
Mailwoman: "I pray for the sweet release of death."

While Simon rounds up random strangers (well, most of them, the guy with the cap is in the Gregory Helpers club), Eleanor sneaks off for some socialization of her own.

Owen: "Wow, Ellie! The baby has gotten so big! I'm glad I'm here tonight. I think it's going to be the night, don't you?"
Eleanor: "Yeah! In fact, ow, I think our little tryst may have shaken something loose. Meet you up at the bassinet, okay?"
Owen: "Wouldn't miss it!"

Eleanor: "Oh, Mom, thanks for being here, but Owen's going to wait with me this time."
Celeste: "Yeah, about that . . ."

Owen: *pop up, won't even say it to our face* "Thanks for hanging out with me! I have to leave now."
You little . . . #)()$*%&(*&Q

Eleanor: "Well, on second thought, I'd love your support, Mom. Just this one last time and I'll be all done with this and can focus on my parenting."

Eleanor: "Finally! A little girl!"
Celeste: "Uh, why did all our portraits at the bottom get so tiny?"

Oh, you have got to be kidding me. NOW we get triplets? The cap was set at 12. The game gave me 11 sims only because it couldn't give me quads. FML. This is the last thing I need. This was rage quit #1. Believe it or not, the game was not done with me, so there is another one coming up in the next one or two chapters.

After some deep breathing, we return to three stinky, crying babies. From right to left, in order of birth, we have Alison, Jason, and Logan. Lovely. Thanks a lot for your super-sperm, Owen. Now I know why he made a fast escape.

It's all hands on deck to care for the triplets. Both sets of natural triplets I've had (not influenced by lot traits) have been in the Gregory family tree. This family is cursed, cursed, I tell you!

Speaking of bad events, looks like someone forgot to empty the lint tray.

Kenzie: "Ugh, I can't deal with this right now! The crying, the laundry, now the fire? No, I refuse." *proceeds to put fire out with the pure power of her mind, never once producing an extinguisher* 

*no, seriously, I don't know how but she did that*

Meanwhile, these two dingbats are doing the robot in the hallway or something. I don't even know.

Oh, good to see you enjoying yourself, Jaron.

Jaron: "You know, we didn't have creature comforts like these in the first generation. You have to make the most of what death hands you."

Jaron: "And I think I'll just help myself to a plate or three of toddler food."

Ugh, stop.

Simon: "Hey, Mom, now that all my sibs are born, we find out who the heir will be, right? Who do you think it'll be? Wouldn't it be funny if it was one of the babies and you had to wait?"
Eleanor: "Well, actually, sweetie, we already did the random number generator and . . ."
Simon: "Or maybe Rowan. People love red-headed heirs."

It's true, this guy would make a pretty adorable heir if he keeps pulling stunts like this one.

Eleanor: "Simon, slow down. What I'm trying to tell you is . . . it's you. You're the heir to generation eight."
Jaron: "Haha, psych!"

Simon: "I . . . what?" *bluescreens*

Yup, our goodie-two-shoes social butterfly will be the next heir, and I have *just* the partner picked out for him when he's old enough. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. Looks like we need to give him some time to recover from the shock.

In the meantime, take a gander at our calendar. Except for the New Skills Day on the current day, these are all our regular holidays. Besides the included ones, we have a Last Splash pool party celebration near the end of summer and a Spooky Day in fall, both with exactly the types of activities you'd think, and then the two legacy holidays. The one with the piƱata is Gregory Greatness Day, and it is celebrated by making resolutions (representing Natalie's hope for great things for her legacy), attending a holiday ceremony (Aaron with his dedication to family would have loved to take his kids to one), and art and music spirit (our music queen, Laurel). The cowplant represents our remembrance holiday, the Gregorian Showdown, which is commemorated with remembrance (all our dead), airing grievances (Marjorie, master complainer and general erratic yeller), and mischief spirit (Faye - who else?). So that's what we celebrate in the Gregory household, and we'll keep adding traditions as people pass away.

And we'll conclude with the most fitting introduction to this neighborhood I can think of: the first thing visitors see when arriving at the legacy lot is a dying trash plant in the middle of the street. Yes, wonderful.

And that's the chapter! Next time we'll have Simon on the cover, but don't think generation seven is done and dusted yet! We've got three stinky babies in cribs and a long way to go for Eleanor despite her nominally passing the torch, and there are now eleven sims/pet in the house. Help me. Send help. Please, somebody! Just kidding. Or am I? I'll probably make it through this. Find me at Boolprop if you wish to commiserate or otherwise communicate. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment